Monday, April 25, 2016

#69 In a Distant City (By Grandpa)


Let's begin with today. This is our first Sunday away from our little branch since we arrived. My first counselor reports that the singing sounded like the "alley cats choir." Grandma always takes her iPhone with a recording of the hymns for the day, and the music helps to keep us on tune. I don't know what the three reported investigators thought about the music. I hope they have the courage to come back. Even when Grandma and I are present, my voice helps almost not at all and my counselor is little better. 



Today began with the baptism of a sixteen year old fellow who is the nephew of a branch member here. I confirmed him in sacrament meeting. We went to another hotel and used the pool for the baptism. The water was up to the necks of the fellow and the branch president who baptized him. Because the branch president forgot to say the fellow's name, he had to baptize him twice. That's what witnesses are for, to catch those things. I was one of the witnesses. And (ahem) I noticed the omission, even in Turkish.

Twenty-two people showed up for the Sacrament Meeting. Only four of us were not Turks -- a woman from the Philippines, a woman from the Ukraine, and Grandma and I. I was the only speaker for the meeting. Grandma taught Sunday School. My topics were on the First Vision and Moroni's visits. Grandma talked about keeping personal records (journals) and told stories from our family to illustrate. It was a nice experience for us. The branch president was the translator. An awful lot of work for him.

What was impressive to me was that there are four families who are the rock foundation of the branch -- father, mother, children. Most of them are new to the Church. But they seem committed. The young fellow who was baptized and his fifteen year old friend I can see eventually as YVs (there is already a serving Elder from this branch in the MTC headed for Germany where more than a million Turks live). Two other Turkish speaking missionaries from this country are already in Germany and enjoying success. I see the Lord bringing the message to this people through multiple doors.

I love you and pray for you.

Grandpa Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment