Monday, April 25, 2016

#68 Gaziantep (By Grandma)




Dear Children,

Check out our FB page for photos of this town. It is near the Syrian border and is a teeming city.  The bazaar reminded me much more of bazaars in Egypt than those I've previously seen in Turkey:  copper, tin, spices, jewelry, hand made items, and narrow streets.  But no hawkers.  No one paid us any mind.  

Our host here is the BP.  He picked us up at the airport.  Took us to a hotel,  to a mosaic museum and then to the bazaar.  That evening Dad gave a fireside to about 20 people.  He spoke on the Last Days of the Savior's Life.  They had major food afterwards including stuffed grape leaves and stuffed egg plant. The fireside was translated as dad spoke. 




Today began with a baptism.  It was a young man, 16 years old. He'd been taught through Skype by elders in Ankara.  Dad was a witness.  The baptism was in a lovely pool in hotel.  Dad also confirmed him.  I took sketchy notes so they could be translated for him.  

We then went to another hotel for church services.  Dad was the main speaker.  He spoke about the first vision.  He did a great job.  I thought I was also speaking but evidently I was the SS speaker. I had the whole time.  I spoke about record keeping.  I knew one woman there didn't read or write so I encouraged grandchildren to help record stuff for their grandparents like Heather and Julianne had done for grandmother Oblad.  I said my mother had nearly been blind so my granddaughters gave her a huge gift.  

We are back in our hotel room now and in a couple of hours we will go to the BP's house for dinner.  I expect a feast because that is how Turks are.  They are very generous and we love their food.  

This Branch was only created in September.  It is twice the size as ours.  Most are relatives. They are very much pioneers in this part of the world.  We fly back to Izmir tomorrow.  We assume our tiny branch missed us.  

Love,
Mother

PS
I have 3 new FB friends from here now. Technology is really a wonderful connector.  One is a Philippino, one an Ukranian, and one a Turk, the BP's wife.  I can't pronounce any of their names.  Jacquart is a breeze compared to Turkish names.  

No comments:

Post a Comment