Sunday, October 23, 2016

#110 Sunday, October 23 (By Grandma)

I'll spare you a long email this week.  Dad and I have to catch a bus in a few minutes to travel to Bodrum, a seacoast town on the southwest corner of Turkey.  It is in our Branch.  I'm going there to interview two German sisters who live there with their families.  We are going tonight so that we can interview them in the morning when their children are at school.  I'm trying to pack very lightly because I have to carry stuff along the way, and the recorder is a little bit heavy.  I'll wear the same clothes I'm wearing right now.

It sounds like most of you have been out and about this week.... huntin', drivin', attending children's events.  Sho is in Colorado with Raynelle and Nathaniel.  Evidently Raynelle came down with strep, so that curtailed some of their plans.  I saw a photo of the Cleggs on FB frolicking in Zion's.  Heather planned to catch some volleyball in St George, and I think the Pearsons were showing up again for Larissa's play.  Evidently all the Browns were back in school, so their week was "normal", whatever that may be.

I made banana nut bread this week.  I really thought that my culinary years were behind me.  But I've had to step up to the plate (oven) here.  I barely used the oven for the first year.  I didn't know how.  It is a stove-top contraption.  But I've finally figured out how to use its basic features, so I can make some stuff.  I made M&M cookies also.  But the problem is that I can only make 6 at a time.  Therefore I have to ration them when the elders visit.  Too bad Karilynne isn't here with her chocolate chip cookies.  But then, she would have to bring her own chocolate chips.    

We did purchase a popcorn popper a few months ago.  It isn't like ours in at home, but it sorta of does the  job.  

Have I told you how cheap food is here?  I go to a grocery store and load up with lots of stuff.  It usually costs the equivalent of about $30.00.  We purchase loaves of bread for $.30.  So maybe we can't afford to come home.  I know that just looking at Costco costs about $100.00.  Maybe you could all move here?  

We really appreciate the return of the YVs.  Today there were 13 people in our meeting and about that many over Skype.  It is still stressful because we have no idea how things will work out, but "ye of little faith".... it usually works out.  A Turkish visitor who lives in Switzerland spoke today.  He told about helping with church Turkish translations.  He also brought some Swiss Chocolate.  It was scooped up very quickly.  

The YVs have been in our apartment almost every day this week.  And two of them and an investigator were here after church.  Since they just happened to be here when we would be eating, I invited them to dine with us.  We dined on spaghetti.   My spaghetti sauce, from scratch, is really quite good.  The elder who hates tomatoes wasn't with them.

Well, have a great week.  It is almost Halloween if I remember right.  Save us some Halloween candy.

Love,


Mother

No comments:

Post a Comment