Sunday, October 16, 2016

#108 Sunday October 16 (By Grandma)

It is 1/2 way through the month and almost Halloween.  We received a message from the MP to not mention Halloween or Thanksgiving to our local members.  Evidently those holidays represent America traditions, so we keep them to ourselves.

Last year we took the YVsto a hotel for Thanksgiving.  It was a very nice feast.  We didn't have an oven that could cook a turkey if we could even find one.  Right now we have five elders serving here, so it will be more expensive.  If you'd like to contribute to the "feed YVs" fund it would be appreciated.  We will probably repeat the hotel experience  The only problem is that the meal doesn't start until 8:00 PM.  I'm ready for bed by then.... but I guess I'll stay awake this time.  The only thing that was missing last year was cranberry sauce.  The hotel actually did a very nice job of other things, and lots more things than I prepare.  But there was no 3-bean salad.  I'l have to wait until we return for that. 

I made cookies this week.  I made M&M cookies from a recipe on the internet.  I found a bag of M&M's and had been saving them until I could gather all the ingredients.  The last item I had to find was baking soda.  They do carry it here, but it is hard to find.  The recipe calls for six cookies on a cookie sheet.  Now I know why.  They spread out a lot.  With my small oven it took a long time to just bake six at a time.  I took 18 to church with me today.   We had 15 in attendance.  I usually put the treats on a table, and let everyone help themselves.  But this time I passed them around, so everyone could get at least one.  I've learned I have to do that with "certain" people.   There were 3 left over for about 25 seconds!

Julianne's Face-time alert awakened me at 2:00 AM, that Cassidy's team won their first game in state. That was wonderful from a brand new high school.  I know that Kara is in Hawaii with her volleyball team right now.  I don't know how any athletes find any time to study.  But I guess their coaches carve out time for such things.  Nashelle is advertising a melodrama in her theater.  Next year we will get to attend performances.   Jill is finishing up her Real Estate class.  Shoshauna is scrambling to keep up with her 9 hours of graduate classes.  Spencer got a deer.  

Dad and I are doing okay.  We spent 3 days in Istanbul last week, and will probably travel to a couple of distant cities this week.  In between, Dad is working on arranging everything for the District Conference in two weeks in Istanbul.  I'm in charge of getting someone to do the music.  The MP told me whom to call.  She is willing and luckily I can be back-up if needed.  I hand-typed all the words in Turkish to the hymns we'll be singing.  It was an ordeal because the Turkish alphabet is different from ours, and I had to hand-enter by cutting and pasting the different letters.  Some keyboards have the Turkish alphabet, but mine does not.  

We had a loooooong session with the YVson Friday.  They use our apartment for skyping and district meetings.  There were about five meetings on Friday.  I provided lunch.  One set of YVsis looking for an apartment.  Right now all five are in one apartment.  There is space for five, but evidently cooking their meals is a big problem.  They don't share food, so everyone has to prepare their own meal.  I imagine they eat out a lot.  And actually Turkish food is rather cheap if you eat where the locals do. 

I hope you are all doing well.  I know you are all very busy all the time.  But hopefully you'll save some energy so you can help us get in and out of our recliners when we return.

Love,


Mother 

No comments:

Post a Comment