Monday, October 3, 2016

#103 Dentist

It has been great to have the missionaries back.  But transfers are coming up next week and we are worried.  I love our YVs.... well, best of all the two who have been here the longest.  We get five new YVs on Wednesday, and therefore, there will have to be a lot of reconfigurations.  We will then have 19 young YVs in Turkey.  The biggest number so far.

Dad and I arrived at the airport in Istanbul just prior to the YVs' arrival from Germany.  So we could be part of the greeting and went on a bus with them into the city.  It was so fun to watch them arrive.  There were huge problems as they tried to enter the country.  One YV could not enter at all, and was sent back to Germany.  It is a complex story, but he cannot come back for a month.  It all has to do with visas, etc.  The Zone Leaders stayed behind to get him settled and on to a return flight.  

The MP's wife is very smart.  She really does a lot behind the scenes.  She insisted that all the YVs take their cell phones with them to Germany, and she had them all loaded with minutes before they returned so they could call us from behind all the gates, and doors when they arrived in Istanbul.  That way, we knew what the delay was and what was going on.   She was able to direct them and tell them what to do, and get new reservations for the returning YV.  So only 14 YVs returned on the bus with us.    

I was surprised to get a hug from the YVs.  They are not allowed to touch us ordinarily, but it was nice to get a hug on their return.  And now it is back to arms' length.  

The bus took Dad, Diane and I to the mission home to finish getting dinner ready, then took the YVs to their hotel, and then they walked to the mission home and we had a dinner.  The Torontos had just returned from Kazakshstan two days prior, so I'm sure having all this happen was very hard on them.  Diane had to walk up the hill 4 times to get enough food for the event.  And the YVs devoured it very quickly.  We had the elders, 3 service couples, the Torontos, and the BP from Gaziantep.  The YVs had been up since 2:00 AM so they went back to their hotels and to sleep.  

The next morning we had Zone Training meeting.  (We stayed at the mission home).  As you probably know Zone Training is usually just done by the YVs.  But this was more like a Zone Conference with reports, new information, etc.  It was a good meeting.  We had pizza and then the Izmir and Ankara people went to the airport.  We flew home with "our" YVs.

I chipped a tooth this week.  I had it repaired by a Branch member who is a dentist.  He did a great job. He'll begin a root canal for me on Monday... Ugh!  He is an American married to a Turk.  He is actually with the AirForce... came to Turkey with the AF.  He met a Turkish woman and married her.  He has stayed in the AF so he can get retirement.  So he leaves Turkey now and then for AF stuff.  But he works as a dentist in the AF.  His wife has just opened a shop near our apartment.  She sells fashionable clothes, all much too small for me.  

We flew 10 times in September.  Are you impressed? We had the same lousy "grilled" cheese sandwich on each flight.  I hope they change their menu for October.  

I was really looking forward to church today.  It would be back to "normal".  The elders are back, we have a new RS President, etc.  We were going to have our first RS.  But alas, I received a text yesterday from the RS Pres.  She had had her baby early.   It was due Oct 30.  She said she had surgery.  I don't know more details than that.  I'll take a dinner to them tomorrow.... walk, walk, walk, bus, metro, walk walk walk.  They had still been in a hotel and were to move into their apartment Oct 1.  It is all pretty far from us.  So our meetings today had to be adjusted again.  change, change, change......

I am relieved to have the elders back.  I worried that they'd never come back.  The Turkey president has extended his State of Emergency.  But we don't see much about it from where we stand.  There are still lots of warnings about US citizens, but who knows?  It looks like it is dangerous to be in the US.

I hope you are all enjoying the Fall. It has cooled a bit here but still warm in the days.  And last week an errant mosquito found its way into our apartment.  It woke me up with its fine several times during the night.  I kept putting the sheets over my head.  Finally in the AM I spied it on the wall and smushed it.  A lot of blood splattered out.  

Dad goes to Istanbul again this week-end.  I don't.  I should have my root canal finished by then.  I'll certainly keep you posted by that.

I saw a photo of Tanner in the Conference Center.  Did he get to attend Conference?  

I love you all!

Mother

No comments:

Post a Comment