Sunday, October 9, 2016

#106 Another Week in Izmir (By Grandma)

The weeks are actually whizzing by.  It seems like I just wrote to you, and now it is time to write again.

But since I wrote last, I've had a root canal.  I'm sure you'd like to hear all the details.  I've had a little sympathy, but not near enough.  There isn't anyone here I can complain to so you get the whole story.

Our dentist is a member of our branch.  He was trained in the US.  He is also in the Air Force, so he goes for reserve training several times a year.  

I first went to him because I chipped a front tooth.  It looked pretty gross, and I finally took the plunge.  His first step was to x-ray me.  He said I needed a root canal.  I said "I know".  That tooth has been sensitive for a long time and I can't remember when I last ate on that side of my mouth.  But a wimp doesn't do anything until the very last minute.  

The chipped front tooth was simple, and repaired very easily.  I didn't feel a thing.  

But on Monday he began the root canal.  He doesn't use nitrogen.  So I geared up and endured the injections to deaden the area.  Then he was in my mouth for 1 1/2 hours.  He x-rayed me 3 times as he was working.  He couldn't get into the canal.  It had calcified.  But I prayed as he was excavating, and finally he could break through.  And filled the canal with stuff and put a temporary cap on.  He told me to come back on Friday and he would finish it.

As you still reading this?  So I went back on Friday expecting to have the tooth finished but lo and behold, he did two more root canals, and his fingers were in my mouth for two more hours.  Those roots were also a challenge to penetrate.  He said that if he couldn't get in, he may have to extract the tooth.

So that filled me with dread.  Extraction after all this????

But finally he was successful and he finished up with a nice crown.  I'd gritted my teeth for so long, that I was totally exhausted.  I returned home and continued taking my antibiotics.


I actually didn't have a lot of pain.  Initially I took Tylenol and that didn't help, so I changed to ibuprofen.  That was more effective.


While I was going through this Dad was in Istanbul getting trained on some church computer system.  The dentist knew dad was gone, so he said he'd call me that evening to see how I was doing.  He didn't call.  How could he have forgotten me so quickly?


I fed 10 people today after church.  I made chicken soup, but boiled a lot of noodles to put the soup over because I didn't know how much 5 elders would eat.  We seemed to do okay.


Well, I miss you all.


Love,



Mother

No comments:

Post a Comment