Monday, June 20, 2016

#81 "And it's Father's Day" (By Grandma)

Dear Children,

It is 105°F outside right now.  That is rather warm.  I’m sitting under the AC that blows in one spot in the room.  It gets too cold, so I turn it off, and then it warms up, and I turn it back on.  I have the remote control by my side.  I want you to know that I walked to and from church in the heat.  It is about a 15 minute brisk walk, and also about a 12 cat walk.  Even the cats seemed lethargic this morning. 

We just had 15 people in our living room for “lunch”.  We used to invite people for “dinner”, but I decided it was better to call it “lunch” and then I didn’t have to prepare so much.  We never know how many will be coming to eat after church.  We usually have six “for sures”. 

Five of our guests were children… from about 1-12.  So I had to think of something to feed them that they would eat.  I settled on sandwiches.  I’ve only just found some buns that can be used for sandwiches.  And it only four shopping trips to get enough food for the lunch.  All of the shopping trips involved a lengthy walk.  Are you appreciating this yet?  I found some cheese in one store, and some deli meat in another.  Dad found a huge watermelon that I couldn’t even lift at one fruit stand.  I bought some other stuff for potato salad at another fruit stand.  And we took our pulled shopping cart to a distant market to get other supplies.  I bought potato chips… they were a hit with the children…. And the adults.  I made hummus and my special rice krispy treats (cocoa puffs).  Almost everything got eaten except we still have watermelon left. 

In addition I bought 10 candy bars for a treat for the fathers at church.  I didn’t how many men would be there, but there were 7 (including the YVs and a YA).  I worried that they would melt in my bag by the time I got them there, but I assume they were okay.  I copied a nice little quote from President Monson and added it to a little bag.

Yesterday we had a Branch bowling party with 24 people.  That was huge!  Only seven of us were members.  The elders did a great job of inviting people.  Even their Turkish Tutor came with his son.  One of the YVs is almost a professional bowler.  We had four lanes.  I didn’t bowl because I’m a little cautious about my knee.  But I told the YV that I would have beat him if I could have bowled.  He didn’t believe me.  I was serious.  It isn’t fun getting old and not being able to display your prowess.

We went to Dominos for pizza afterwards.  We could have eaten in the bowling alley, but it is in the Hilton Hotel, and I know it would have been very expensive.  We may be paying for this, so we wanted to minimize the costs.  We sat outside of dominos and ordered pizza and drinks.  It was probably only 99°F.  About 16 of the guests are relatives.  One family was baptized in the Ukraine, and the others were family members who now live in Turkey.  The YVs have been meeting with them a little bit.  I know their interest in the church will be sparked if we have frequent bowling-pizza parties.

We had a baptism scheduled next week.  It isn’t going to happen, yet.  It seemed like a golden contact, and the YVs were very excited.  I’ve been around enough to know that “things” can happen.  So we’ll see what is next.

We’ll go to Istanbul next week for one night.  WE are having a Maxi conference.  Part of the Maxi conference will be 10 hours in airports for us.  Oh well. 

I hope you are all having a nice Father’s Day.  I know that our ward gives Father’s a piece of pie to take home.  Shoshauna said she was making 3 pies.  She is much better than I.  I helped out a time or two, but I always bought the pie.  Too bad Shoshauna doesn’t have a Costco membership right now. 

BTW… I have a woman here who does my hair.  She is actually very good and expensive.  She even drives a car…. No one drives here.  I had an appointment this week, and just as I was leaving, she called and asked if I’d like a ride to the salon.  She lives in my neighborhood.  I said sure, I was just leaving.  So I met her and climbed in her car.  I told her (she speaks English) it was the first time in almost a year that I had ridden in the front seat of a car.  And it occurred to me that I haven’t driven in that long either.  It was an unnerving feeling to be in the front seat of a car.  But I survived the drive to the parking garage, and let her fuss with my hair.  I really looked beautiful for about 10 minutes. 

Well, have a good Sabbath

Love,
Mother

No comments:

Post a Comment