Monday, February 29, 2016

#56 " We have Plenty of Paper Towels" (By Grandma)

It was time to replenish the toilet paper rolls in our apartment.  So I went to the cupboard where I keep such things, and to my amazement, all of the rolls I thought were TP, were paper towels.  We had about 36 rolls of paper towels.  I don’t know how that happened.  I thought  we were well-supplied with TP.  Not!

So we made a trip to a store about 15 minutes away and bought a giant supply.  I’m sure the people of Turkey were wondering why two old people were walking along carrying such a large supply of TP.  Of course it was out in the open, not in a camouflage bag.  But we were able to get it back to our apartment and we are now well-supplied.  Good thing we noticed it before our guests arrived for dinner today!  Our year-supply is very lacking!

We enjoyed our time in Armenia.  This time we were international travelers, so it added another dimension to our travel.  I can’t remember how many times we went through security.  And of course, domestic airlines and international airlines are not in the same buildings.  So we got to hoof it for miles and miles.  I still got the pat-down though, so I’m good.

Note to self:  NEVER purchase anything in a Duty-Free shop.  I don’t know exactly what that means, but I thought it must mean that it is a bargain.  So in the Armenian Airport I decided to indulge.  I had a little time before departure, and I went shopping.  They had lots of nice stuff, but it was all marked in Euros or AMD (Armenian) money so I didn’t really know how much stuff was.  And besides the language was Armenian so I couldn’t ask.  I just picked up a few cosmetic things I was short on, and a refrigerator magnet.  When I got the check-out counter it rang up $193.00.  How could that be?  But rather than make a fuss and act like I didn’t know what I was doing, I pulled out two hundred-dollar bills. 

The clerk ran my bills through a scanner, and accepted them.  So now I have a little lip gloss, fingernail polish, and face cream that cost more than our plane ticket.  I didn’t even consider the candy they were selling!

I have a new calling as Church History Advisor in this mission.  That is what all the training is about.  My trainer flew in from Russia.  She couldn’t fly to Turkey, just Armenia.  Our countries aren’t friendly right now.  She taught me lots of stuff about Church History projects.  We’ll go to Kiev next week for more training.  Then I should be able to conduct Oral History interviews with a recording device that will be loaned to me.  REMEMBER SELF:  NO Duty Free Shopping!!!!

The trainer took us to dinner two nights to wonderful Armenian restaurants.  The food was relatively inexpensive, and we loved it.  Luckily Dad and I like lots of different foods.  My favorite was borsch.  Borsch is really a Russian soup, but I thought the Armenians did a great job.  It is basically a beet soup.

I saw on FB that Marinn’s team took Nationals.  What a thrill for her and her team.  So much work for them.  So much pain for Marinn! 

It is great to hear from you now and then.  Thank you for your emails!  It makes my day and/or night.

Dad will fly away tomorrow for a day trip to the south.  He wants to meet some people.  I’ll probably continue to eat chocolate and paint my nails.  I am very productive.

I love you ALL,
Mother/Grandmother/Greatgrandmother/Sister

No comments:

Post a Comment