Monday, February 8, 2016

#50 WEATHER SMACKER

Dear Grandchildren,

I have rarely been smacked by weather. But for the second time in a row, we were smacked by wind and rain in Istanbul. Last trip, it was actually wind and snow. A few days ago, we went back to the big city for a conference. The first day, we were with the MP and MM. They did a superb job of sensitizing the YVs to the varied situations that people here find themselves in if they express interest in the gospel message, given the character of the population. The second day we were instructed by the Area President and his wife. They, too, were terrific. But outside the building where we met, the rain began to pour on the first day. Through a window we could see a large stream of water in the street that was being pummeled by huge drops of water. Later in the meeting, I could see that the building’s windows had fogged. When I stepped outside, the wind was blowing its best. Out into the elements Grandma walked with one of the other Sisters to go to the Villa to continue preparations for a meal honoring the arriving Area President and his wife. An hour later, after I had led a discussion with the YVs on incidents from the Savior’s life that illustrate his character, I walked out into the now cold wind and rain. Needless to say, by the time I had walked two blocks to the Metro, my suit pants were soaked. Before I reached the Villa, my umbrella was shredded. I went downstairs and pressed my pants with an iron to put the crease back in and to dry them out. No, I didn’t leave them on while I pressed the pants. I was alone, so I took them off and plugged in the iron. At the end of the evening, we walked — rather, pushed our way — back to the apartment where we were staying. The wind kept folding Grandma’s umbrella almost in half and kept driving the rain into our faces. Grandma’s skirt that had dried and my pants that I had pressed were all dripping wet again. Oh well.

We made our flight back to the city easily, although I swear that the taxi driver had his meter on super drive. It was the most expensive taxi ride that we have enjoyed in Istanbul. On the other hand, the YVs missed the flight. They were hanging out with other YVs and doing some studying before they left for the airport. They arrived at the check-in desk with fewer than 45 minutes before the flight was scheduled to leave. (The flight did not leave on time, in case you are wondering.) The agent refused to let them on the flight even though they had reservations. Evidently, the seats had been sold. So they flew in later, paying the full fare. Ouch!

Our numbers were down today in our meetings. One of the sisters in a far city had a sick child, so she and her children could not join us by Skype. One of the young women who often joins us by Skype was at her parents’ home which does not have Wifi. In our meeting, we were seven, with one investigator. The investigator is an interesting case. He is a student from Afghanistan and styles himself an atheist. He has now been to church three times. He received one of his lessons in our apartment, which did not go very smoothly because of his nettlesome questions. A week later (last Monday), he came with the YVs for an FHE. The YVs brought the game and the treats. Unexpectedly to me, this investigator seemed to be a willing participant. So I am not sure what is up with him. Perhaps he likes our company. It is hard to say. He goes off to Germany the first of next month and I would like to hand him off to YVs there. The total number in Sacrament Meeting, with the woman who joined us with her two children by Skype, was ten.

It appears that the YVs have decided to introduce contacts to the world of FHE on Monday evenings. In our apartment, of course. I am all for it. Grandma and I don't have a strict routine for Monday evenings, so it is ok with me if they bring people for a lesson, a game, and some treats. A less active sister, whom we visited this past week with the YVs, opened up and said that she had not gone back to church regularly since the death of her mother three years ago. Her mother had died before this woman could reach her to spend even a few minutes with her at the end, and she became mad at God for not keeping her mother alive until she could get to her. I think that this kind of opening up is healthy for this sister and I hope that she can now adjust her thoughts and feelings so that she feels comfortable coming back to church meetings. We shall see.

By the way, congratulations to Marinn and her dance team for pushing their way to second place in their recent state competition. They finished ahead of Bountiful which had been one of their goals all year long.

I love you and pray for all of you every day. By name.


Grandpa Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment