Sunday, February 21, 2016

#54 Holding Firm (By Grandpa)

Dear Grandchildren,

Learning about a bombing in the capital city is not exactly an enthusing experience. Nor a comforting one. Grandma first saw news about the blast when she was looking at the internet for news. Our hearts and prayers go out to the families of the victims. It is beyond me why people think that it is ok to end innocent people’s lives. To mind come a couple of passages from the Book of Mormon. The first is the answer to Ammon’s prayer whether to take the people of Anti-Nephi-Lehi down to the territory of the Nephites after enemies of these people had organized to take their lives, knowing that these people had made a non-retaliatory covenant. The Lord’s response — probably audible — was that "Satan has great hold on the hearts of the Amalekites" (Alma 27:12). The second comes from the Resurrected Savior himself when dealing with the disputations that had grown up over doctrinal questions, including the proper mode of baptism. He responds with a sweeping observation that a person who has "the spirit of contention is not of me, but is of the devil" (3 Nephi 11:29). In my mind, these two passages cast a direct light on what is happening in parts of the world.

To switch gears, Grandma has been invited to receive training in a family history program which essentially means gathering histories from church members in a specified region of the world — if I understand the program correctly, which I may not, well, which I probably don’t. She remarked that this was the first time in our married life that we were to go somewhere because of her and because of something that she is involved in. We have regularly traveled hither and yon when the travel has involved me and my work. I guess the message is that I can expect this kind of thing again forty-nine years hence since that’s how long we have been married. This time we are going to Yerevan. I don’t know what Grandma will do in forty-nine years to top that.

I am getting back on a bike again. I rode three times this past week on one of the bikes that the city makes available for those who sign up for its bike-riding program. It feels good to breath hard again (I feel strange saying that). I was actually perspiring the last two times I rode. I guess that means washing clothes. Otherwise, well, you know.


I have been experiencing trouble with deleting emails, or large portions of them. Grandma has googled the problem and it apparently has to do with the Outlook system that I use for emails. Even putting in the email addresses for you offered a temptation just now to the computer to ruin one or another of your addresses. And when I lose an email, or part of it, I don't show the sweet self control that I should and say, "Oh, my goodness. Look at that. I just lost the last thousand words that I typed and I have to retype them. Shucks." I hasten to add that I don't swear, at least not much. Well, not in a way that people in the street can hear. Maybe I shall have to upgrade to a better system, but I don't want to until after we are home again. And maybe not then. I know. I shall just keep getting angry, showing my black side. Or is it brown?
 .

I love you and pray for you.

Grandpa Brown


No comments:

Post a Comment