Monday, January 4, 2016

#41 "Snow storm" (By Grandma)



I just read dad's email to you.  He has recounted our week very well, so I'll try not to repeat everything he said.  I told him that I want to write first next week, so my news can be fresh.

As you know we are sharing a computer.  It is like sharing a tooth brush.... very hard.  We are both used to our personal space which includes a personal computer.  We have smaller devices, but only a Laptop or PC works for some things.  Since the laptop belongs to Dad, I have to queue up to use it.  He isn't possessive, he just uses it a lot for his stuff.  My stuff gets put aside, or limited to what I can etch out on my I-Pad.  Therefore he usually writes his letters before I do.  

He wrote about our week in Istanbul.  But I don't think he made it clear that some parts of the trip were very miserable because they had their first snowstorm of the year.  So, it is like flying from So California to Utah during the winter.  We weren't prepared.  We left Izmir in sweaters, and found blizzardy conditions in Istanbul.  And we had to walk substantial distances once we got off the metros to reach our destinations.... with a biting wind.  Do you feel sorry for us yet?

The first destination was a dinner with Elder and Sister Oaks at the Mission Home.  We arrived wind-blown, and wet, looking like trappers from the north.  We dragged our suitcases along uneven sidewalks to reach the Mission Home.   The dinner was great.  It was fun to sit in close conversation with the group.  The Oaks had just arrived from Rome.  Sister Oaks asked if Heather was our daughter and said she admired her very much.  (I'm sure she would admire all of our children if she only knew them also!)

After the dinner we stepped out into the blizzardlyl conditions, dragging our suitcases and walked to an apartment that was about a mile away for the evening.

The next morning we, again walked in blizzards, to the metro and to Zone Conference.  The Oaks spoke to us there.  It was a good meeting.

That evening there was an Istanbul fireside for members in the area.  It was attend by about 25% non-members.  It was a pretty snowy evening, so it was great that many came out. 

BTW  We didn't have boots.  I didn't see anyone without boots.  We don't even own boots.  We don't need them in IZmir.  So our footwear was very inadequate.  Luckily I packed my parka in my suitcase, just in case.  So I wore that.  

The next day we had no plans.  We thought we'd just study Turkish in the apartment until it was time to start the journey to to the airport.  But the MP called us and asked if we'd like to go to the Grand Bazaar with them and the Oaks.  He asked if we could be ready in five minutes.  I was in my PJ's, dad was out scouting for water bottles.  I said "sure".  I quickly changed, did a few dishes, threw everything into my suitcase, ran a brush over my hair, and informed dad when he arrived that he had to be ready in 2 minutes.  The MP said they'd meet us at the top of the hill in a van.  We slipped and slid climbing the hill to the van..... dragging our suitcases.

The Grand Bazaar was very fun.  The women shopped mainly at a pottery shop while the men wandered through the vast alleys.  Another senior couple had joined us, and they knew the territory very well.  The men didn't have any desire to shop.  I wasn't really looking for anything, so I mainly observed.  After about 2 hours we met up and a shop keeper led us to a restaurant in the bazaar and we had a very nice lunch.   This Bazaar is probably one of the biggest in the world.  It is entirely covered, so it was a good place to be on a snowy day.

It became time for us to depart to the airport, so the MP let us to the van and they took us to a Metro stop so we could get to the airport.  And dad related the airport saga.  

You might wonder why we don't get picked up when we arrive at Istanbul, or why we don't take taxis.  We don't because traffic is horrible, and trips can be much longer above ground.  The metro isn't too bad unless you have to stand the whole way.  We have to ride on three different lines when we go to Zone Conferences.  It takes about 1 1/2 hours on the metro.  It is often 2-3 hours via taxi.  

We arrived home about 9:30 on New Year's Eve.  We didn't celebrate.  We went to bed and our heat was still working.  

I'm enclosing a photo of us today..... freezing....

Love,

Mother

No comments:

Post a Comment