Sunday, January 24, 2016

#46 "Twelve Cats" (By Grandma)

Each Sabbath morning we step out of our apartment and make the walking journey to the hotel where we hold church services.  Dad has been going earlier than I because he likes to be there earlier.  I know, I'm the punctual one, but he does like to see that everything is as it should be at the hotel.  I go a little later because I only have to take the music stuff, post the songs, and bring the food (refreshments).   Dad and the elders fuss with the technology to see that Skype will be possible.  

We have walked to church every Sabbath.  But last week a member, who has a car, picked me up in a rainstorm.  Dad had already gone on ahead.  But we walked back.

It has been rather cold here and today dad called and warned me that there was also a wind chill outside.  So I walked gingerely and brought a scarf in case I needed it. 

My walk to church was uneventful, and the wind had stopped blowing.  But I noticed the cats along the way.  Some of them were sunning themselves on top of cars, and some were in doorways.  As I mentioned before, I don't think cats have owners.  But people put out food for them.  I decided to count the cats as I passed them IN TURKISH.  Yes, I am learning the language!  I was able to count 12 of them.  And for your information, there was only one dog along the way.  Usually there are more.  So I practiced what I would say when I arrived at church.  I'd say "Today 12 cats" in Turkish.  I'm not sure if anyone else was impressed, but I was very impressed with my fluency.  "Cat" is one of the first words I learned in Turkish.  And now that I can almost count, I'm a real pro!

We hunkered in most of the week because it was cold.  But we ran low on food rations.  I miss my food storage.  I have some minimal stuff for storage, but nothing you'd want to eat.  We go to the green grocers several times a week unless we have gone to the big outdoor market.  But that market was too cold this week.  Eventually we had to venture out to get more stuff to eat.  I made chili this week and chicken soup.  I make big pots of both of them because we never know how many might just "happen" to be in our apartment at mealtime.   All of it has to be made completely from scratch.  

I tried making some cookies for the first time this week.  I made peanut butter cookies.  The recipe called for sugar, egg and peanut butter.   Thank you to whomever sent us peanut butter.  I'd never make it if I had to purchase it here.  A small jar costs about $20.00.  I don't know if our little toaster oven got it right or not, because the cookies had a strange consistency.  But they are edible..  I may look for another recipe.  I still have some peanut butter.

I'm sure you are interested in what a day looks like for us.  We have yogurt, pomengranate, and a granola for breakfast.  Dad always gets up earlier than I.  We then study Turkish for the morning.  I study from some Apps and Dad studies from notes from his class.  Dad hasn't been feeling well, so he hasn't been exercising, but I've gone out walking for 1-2 hours most afternoons.  For lunch we can purchase sandwiches from a bakery that are about $.60 a sandwich.  They are tomato, cheese, a bun, and a hot pepper.  We cast the hot pepper aside.

In the afternoons and the evenings we often have visitors which include the elders.  If they can make appointments they bring their investigators to our apartment.  They also set up skype lessons that they conduct from our apartment.  Dad and I join in with the discussions with the investigators, but not usually with the Skype.

My observations of the elders.  They really work hard.  They really have to know a lot.  This is a TOUGH mission.  They are asked hard questions by the investigators.  Most of them come from very diverse backgrounds.  We had a man from Afghanistan this week.  (He is an atheist)  The elders keep working and pushing ahead even with lots of turn-downs.  Dad contributes to some of the discussions when he is invited.  I don't feel like I have much to add to the discussions unless someone wants to know how many cats are outside.  

So we are safe, and warm this week, and doing okay.   I think we are sustained by your faith and prayers.  Thank you!

Love,

Mother

No comments:

Post a Comment