Monday, January 11, 2016

#42 "Wearing huntin' socks" (By Grandma)

Warm up gear while the heat was out.

Dad just had me read his write-up about our heating situation.  He is actually a very funny writer.  Who would have thought?  You'll all be interested to know that he actually comes out with some very funny things.  So your humor DNA didn't all come from the Oblad/Pugsley side.  It looks like there is a little bit of humor from the Brown/Soffe side.  

It is interesting that misfortune can actually have a humorous twist to it.... after the fact.  It is not funny when you are freezing cold.  We weren't exactly freezing, but it was below 68 degrees all of the time.  I wore the wonderful socks that Shoshauna and Joel sent me for several days.  You aren't ever supposed to wash them are you?  I know they are huntin' socks, but they work on cold marble floors.

Today we met in a different room for church in the hotel.  That isn't particularly newsworthy, but this is a slow news day.  We had a good group, but only one Skype person.  Part of the challenge of being here, is you never know if something will work out until afterwards.  Dad conducted and he was the speaker.  After his talk we projected President Monson's Conference talk in Turkish.  I had printed a copy for several of us in English so we could follow along.  But nine people in the room understood Turkish.  We had five non-members in the room and one on Skype.  After Sacrament Meeting the JV's teach a Gospel Essential's lesson in Turkish.  I provide refreshments in between.  They liked my rice krispy squares today.  I made them with cocoa puffs.  I thought they were nasty, but i'm glad they liked them.  You can't buy Rice Krispies here.  

Luckily dad and I have some technological knowledge.  That combined with the JV's makes our meetings possible.  We have to use five devices for each meeting and they all belong to us.  Good thing we brought them.  I don't know if the Branch will ever had its own equipment.  It would have to have a building to store it in.  Dad and I take our stuff each Sunday to the meetings.  Our arms have both lengthened a couple of inches since we arrived.  

We also put pressure on our arms carrying groceries to our apartment.  Turkey has great produce, so we carry lots of that kind of stuff.  Yesterday we went to an outdoor market and bought cabbage, pomengranate, mandarins, broccoli, tomatoes, cauliflower and spinach.  We rode public transportation 4 times and walked major distances.... and it was freezing...  Well, it was probably in the 60's.

I sent a photo of stuff I've crocheted.  Lately I've been making scarfs.  I really like mine.  It is multi-color blues.   I asked Dad what color he wanted, and he wanted black.  Black is ugly and hard to work on.  But I made a black one for him because I'm such a dutiful wife.  Please ask him to show his scarf to you.  

Thank you for your emails.  It is great to hear from you.  I think it would be nice for you to copy one-another with your family emails.  You all live such diverse and interesting lives.  I check my i-phone a zillion times a day to see if anyone has sent me a message.  

Well, I love you all.  Take care!

Love,

Mother

No comments:

Post a Comment