Sunday, November 20, 2016

#116 Another Sunday, November 20, 2016 (By Grandma)

You would be seeing us in a month if we were leaving Turkey on our original release date.  But we still have another 4 months.  I wonder what that will mean?  As I think of each name on this email header, I know I will miss each one of you more by then.  As you know it is hard to spend holidays far away from loved ones.  Gratefully I still have one loved-one by my side, but the other 38 of you are still only "perfect" visions in my memory.  

Since this is the second time around for us in this season, it is often easy to compare where we were last year at this time.  Today we had 17 people in the room at church.  That is HUGE.  Last week we had 22, but some were out-of-town visitors.  Of those 17 people in the room eight were solid investigators.  The elders have set Christmas Day as the day for baptism for some of them.  We think that will actually happen.  The MP will not allow anyone to be baptized in Turkey unless they have attended church 8 times.  He is very interested that those who join have been thoroughly taught and are "keepers.  

I think we have some of the best YVs in the church here.  Of course our own grandsons are also among that number.  The YVs here have a very challenging language to learn, and they have many restrictions that they have to follow.  It varies from day to day with the security messages we get from the US Embassy.  And as far as I've been able to detect they are ALL very obedient.

I'm also amazed at how much church knowledge they have to have.   They all far exceed anything I've ever learned.  Your father supplements their knowledge when there is an opportunity.  He really enjoys that role.  The elders YVs all over the Mission call him with questions.  I wonder why they don't call me?

We rarely see a day that we do not have a set of YVs or both sets of YVs come to our apartment for discussions or skype discussions.  We had one discussion in our apartment after church today, and we'll have another one in a few minutes.  Most of the discussions are in Turkish.  I sit and politely act like I'm enjoying not being able to understand anything.  Sometimes the visitors speak a little English, so I can communicate with them in the beginning.

It is a Turkish custom that you always feed a visitor.  Usually you offer them some Turkish coffee, or tea.  So each time the elders bring someone to our apartment I "get" to provide some "nourishment".  I usually put out some juice and a couple of bowls of something... like nuts and/or cookies.  And more often than not, the YVs meetings run over the lunch hour or the dinner hour, so we often feed the 1,000.  I think we had lunch together 4 times last week, and dinner 3 times.  And that didn't include the juice/snack feedings.  I used to have left-overs.  Now I don't.  If I make a pot of chili, it is all consumed.  Luckily I can supplement with bread.  Bread costs the equivalent of $.30/loaf, so we can always feed them lots of bread.  The loaves of bread are called baggettes, and they are delicious.  

We visited some Iranians in a distant city this week.  They are refugee status and joined the church more than a year ago.  Turkey is full of refugees from many countries.   Some have adequate housing and employment, some do not.  They are all in the waiting game hoping that some agency will take up their cause and move them on to another country.  They mainly hope to go to the USA.  Some wait for years.  I can't imagine how hard it would be to be in such a state of limbo.  Not knowing where or if you were going anywhere.  Trying to be optimistic and facing delay after delay.  Most have left their country-of-origin because of threats to their life, or any number of things.  The church does assist some indirectly, but they have to be careful to not become a target also.  

We plan to eat our hearts out on Thanksgiving at the Hotel.  It is the same place where we ate last year.  They try hard to make it look like Thanksgiving.  The meal includes two glasses of wine, so we are grateful for that perk.

I hope you all have a nice Thanksgiving.  I'll miss you all.  Good luck to Nelise in her surgery.  Good luck to Cassie in her soccer tournament.  Good luck to all of you and your bulging mid-lines.

Love,


Mother

No comments:

Post a Comment