Monday, December 28, 2015

#39 "Christmas 2015" (By Grandma)

Almost church time.
I just read Dad's message to you and realized that he told you everything.  So I don't need to recount our Christmas activities.  He said I always put a different spin on things and that is true, but his account is actually quite good.

Perhaps you would be interested in a few details that he missed.  Christmas isn't Christmas without preparing some Christmas goodies, so I'll tell you about them.

I make rice krispy squares at Christmas.  But this year I didn't have any rice Krispies, so I tried cocoa puffs.  Yuk.  They were nasty.

I also make chex mix.  You can't buy any kind of chexes.  So I bought a package of something that had some pretzels, small crackers, and little cheese-like things in it.  I made the mixture to pour over it :wocestershire sauce, butter, and WAIT.... I didn't have seasonal salt.  So I tried some plan salt.  I toasted it all in the oven.  WAIT I don't have an oven.  So I put it in the roaster over.  The mixture was edible, but didn't taste at all like Chex Mix.  

I needed some no-bake cookies.  Cocoa  WAIT :  they don't have cocoa here, sugar, oats, butter.  I tried using Nesquick.  Hmm.  They were okay, but not too tasty.

I like chocolate turtles.  I found some chocolate bars and some salted peanuts. I melted the chocolate and added the nuts.  They were okay, but would have been better with plain peanuts.

I bought 12 pomegranates.   I opened them and got out all the seeds, cut up apples and pears, oranges, and kiwis.  I made a very nice fruit salad, but forgot to add the kiwi at the last minute.  The kiwi is still in the refrigerator.  

Dad bought a box of candy for me, but forgot to read the ingredients carefully.  They were made with coffee.  I don't think it would have hurt me, but I don't even like it.  

WE certainly missed all the delicious items that all of you prepare at Christmas time.  Please save some for us when we return.

Love,

Mother

No comments:

Post a Comment