Sunday, December 20, 2015

# 36 "Surrounding traditions are not visible here." (By Grandma)


I have no idea who reads our blog.  We haven't made it very public.  We appreciate Julianne deciding what is appropriate to post and then posting for us.  If you'd like to communicate with us personally you can do that.  We'd love to hear from YOU...  Gayle:  pluperfect67@hotmail.com     Kent:  skb@byu.edu  

We have been out in the "field" now for six months.  We passed a very hot summer, and now we are cold.  But we can usually warm up eventually during the day.  As I type this, I have a heat unit blowing directly on me.  I'm wearing a jacket and warm leggings.  And I'm also eating pretzels.  Dad is taking a nap.  He is very good at shutting his eyes for a few minutes.  If I shut mine, I'm gone for the day!

Our life has picked up since young YV's were sent to our city.  They use our apartment to meet investigators and include us in their discussions.  Dad is always very helpful, and I'm only marginally helpful.  But I do pour water or juice and put out crackers.  They also Skype from our apartment.  It has been great to have some Turkish-speaking support.  Their work is very challenging, and I think great kudos should be given to young SV's (and sisters).  But there are no sisters in our mission.  They have lots of restrictions in this area but they seem to roll with the punches and be outstanding young men.  

I was moved to tears today in Church.  As I mentioned we meet in a hotel room.  Dad and I carry all the supplies for a church meeting.  Today we added 9 more members into the meeting via Skype.  It took a lot of figuring it out.  It took Dad's laptop, my I-pad, his I-phone, my Boss, and my I-phone to make it all work.  Good thing we purchased those items before we came.  And good thing the YV's are good at making it all work.  We do have wifi in the hotel.  Eight of the people live about 4 hours away and one of the persons lives about 10 hours away from our meeting.  We are all members of our Branch.  We emailed them the songs we'd be singing prior to the meeting.  

Today we could see the 9 on the laptop monitor as we "performed" a regular sacrament meeting for the 9 of us in the room and the 9 of us on the screen.  That is the only way they can partake of the sacrament, because there are no priesthood holders where they live. 

I lead the singing.  I'm the only female voice and the only "musician".  I find the hymn on my i-Phone and play it on the Boss while we sing.  I also print out music sheets in English and Turkish for the meeting.  WE have a Turkish Hymn book with about 30 hymns in it.  Someone, someday, will translate more.  I've noticed that when I lead the singing, no one ever looks at me at all.  I could be lighting sparklers and no one would notice.  But those on the monitor today looked at me today.  I felt validated!

One of the YV's gave the Christmas story today, and Dad spoke about Mary and Elizabeth.  (Dad speaks almost every week)  Dad's talk was translated as he spoke.  The YV translated his own talk.  I had made some treats for after the meeting.  One of the members told me early on, that they needed some refreshment at church.  So I provide that minimal service.  Today we had some cheetos-like things, sliced apples, and no-bake cookies.  (I don't have an oven).  Sometimes I provide nuts or orange wedges.  We don't have a Branch budget, so I'm pretty minimal in my offerings.  It helps calm the hunger pains for a little while.  The hotel provides water.  

We are trying to feel good about Christmas.  We, of course feel good about the Savior.  But the surrounding traditions are not visible here.  We did purchase a Christmas tree, and we might purchase a gift for one another.   We'll stuff some little stockings for the YV's and two YA's.  We'll have a Branch social at our house on Christmas night, but we've already heard of several who won't be coming.  So we will probably have about ten or fewer.  I hope we can make it a warm event.

The internet is a wonderful source for Christmas now.  The church has made wonderful recordings available.  We have watched some of the Bible Videos, and we listen to some of the Christmas music.  Oh to even hear a ward choir right now would be wonderful.  

Our neighborhood did celebrate "night out for shopping".  Dad mentioned it in his letter.  I don't think I can add much to his description.  Picture yourself on the front row of a rock concert for 8 hours and it will give you an idea of our last two evenings.  Our windows were shut, and it didn't make any difference.  I put in earplugs, and it didn't dim the noise at all.  So I just stuffed myself in a corner and ate chocolate!

I hope you all stay warm and comfortable this week.  Give everyone hugs and say it is from grandma.

Mom/Grandma

No comments:

Post a Comment