Sunday, August 2, 2015

#6 Censored and Uncensored (By Grandma)


 Hi from our new home.  We are enjoying our morning in our apartment.  It is only 87 degrees inside.  The temperature will rise momentarily and then we will swelter profusely for the rest of the day.

 I was awakened by a big crash coming from the living room.  I didn't even want to know what happened so I took my time venturing into the living room.  It appears that a big heavy vase, or vahze, smashed on the marble floor.  Tiny splinters of glass were scattered near and far.  They even sparkled in the sunlight.  It was a lovely sight!

 It is not proper to wear shoes in Turkish homes.  Julianne would love it.  So the first thing we did was put on shoes to see how we could begin the clean-up of the hazard area.  Dad got a broom, I found some tape to pick up tiny fragments.  The clean-up process took about 1/2 hour... Sweeping, wiping, and vacuuming.  In the process I have a puncture wound that required a bandage.  I would say stitches if that would net me more sympathy, but it was remedied by a bandaid.

 Evidently dad bumped the vase when he was trying to open a window.  We have no idea what the value of the vase is.  It is probably a Ming original.  We are responsible for every item in this rental.  With marble floors the life expectancy of glass items is short.

We seem to have the same delicious breakfast each morning.  Yogurt, a cut-up fruit (banana or peach) with some musli (granola) on top.  We make do for lunch with something and we go out for dinner.  Most dinners are under $10.00 combined for both of us.  We are beginning to get some groceries.  Hamburger is non-existent.  Beef bits are very expensive.  Chicken is the cheapest meat and I bought a chicken yesterday.  But it is too hot to cook it.  And as I've already mentioned we also have to buy water for all our drinking needs.

We appreciate your words of support.  I thought this would be easier.  Your father seems to be a brick and plods forward with optimism.  I haven't caught up with him yet.  But I did help him pick up the glass this morning and I put yogurt in his bowl. So I guess I'm a help-mate.  I love you all!

 Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment