Sunday, January 1, 2017

#129 "Kaput!" (By Grandma)

Dear Family,

I should be summarizing our events for 2016 in Turkey, but I don’t remember much.  It appears that events whirl around us so quickly that by Sunday I can’t remember the prior week, let alone the prior year.  So you’ll just get some random memories.  I’m sorry that Karilynne isn’t here because she has never missed a day of journal recording.  But I imagine she is so perfect because at some point we taught her the principal of journal keeping and she, being the eldest child, wanted to be an example. And she IS an example. 

We retired early on New Year’s Eve.  But I was awakened at some point by some shouting and fireworks.  I didn’t look at my watch, but I assume it was midnight and thereafter.  FYI… Heather used to set her clocks 2 hours ahead on New Year’s Eve so her children would celebrate 2 hours early and they could all go to bed.  Smart woman!  I doubt she can get by with that now. 

We awakened this morning to news that there had been another terrorist attack in Istanbul.  We had hoped that peace was on its way.  The Mission President had earlier told all of the missionaries to be in their apartment by 4:00 PM on New Year’s Eve to avoid any potential problems.  We heard that a lot of Turks stayed home that evening for the same reason.  We have received numerous US State Department warnings about threats out there.  Our basic instructions are to avoid crowded places, places where tourists gather, police and army facilities.  No place on earth is 100% safe, but following a few guidelines can bring comfort. 

As we headed to church we were saddened that some had died early that morning, and that dozens of others were injured and in hospitals, and more unrest exists among us.

But our church meeting seemed a safe haven.  It was our Fast Meeting.  We hadn’t heard that other units had delayed their Fast Meeting to another week.  I don’t think it makes much difference here anyway.  Most were not out partying all night.  Those who wanted to fast, could.  Our meeting was very good.  Dad bore his testimony but also taught about fasting, including the spiritual and donation aspects of it.  We had 3 non-members bear their testimonies.  Those three are very close to baptism.  One of them loves the Book of Mormon.  We held RS and Priesthood meeting after Fast Meeting.  We hold those meetings twice a month.  This is the 3rd time we’ve had RS.  The RS president wore her baby in a sling for the lesson she gave.  WE had one sister join us on Skype, and three others in the room.  The lesson was given in English, Turkish and German.  Go figure!

We were happy to speak or see all of you except the Browns on Christmas.  I spoke to Roger and Toni a few days later.  It is wonderful to be able to step into your lives, if only electronically.  The elders all skyped their families form our apartment.  They were given 45 minutes to talk.  I don’t think I could talk that long.  I’m glad four of our families could be together for New Year’s Eve.  Thank you Cleggs for hosting AGAIN!

We had a great outing with two other Sr couples and the MP and his wife.  We went to Cannakale, Troy and Gallipoli.  The MP and wife travelled with us from Izmir and the other four joined us from Istanbul.  We had a travel agent friend arrange the trip for us, and he met us there and was our guide.  I’m amazed at how much history I do not know.  Dad, of course, knew a lot about Troy.  And he recited a part of the Illiad while we were there.  I’ve never been much of an historian.

The trip included meals and transportation.  We had a van take us to places, and Gallipoli required a ferry boat ride.  It was rather cold, but on the day we did most of our touring the sun shone.  Gallipoli was the location of fierce battles and many deaths.  The sea was red with blood in 1915.  I took some photos of the gravestones and I’m going to put them on Find-a-Grave.  Most of those who died were in their early 20’s, and were from Australia.  A pretty somber place.

I do spend a bunch of time in the kitchen.  If the elders are here over lunch-time or dinner I feed them.  That seems to happen often.  I don’t seem to be able to get ahead.  I made a big pot of chili last week and it was all gone at one sitting.  And so it goes.  I often add a bunch of bread to every meal because bread is very cheap and good.  I worried about all the left-over goodies from the Christmas Eve party but most of them are now gone. I only have to put a plate out when the elders are here, and stuff disappears.  So that is good.  Some of it goes to my waist-line also.  But not the entire amount!

Well, I assume that dad will write in wonderful detail the events of the past week.  He really is a gifted writer.  Did I ever tell you that I married a wonderful man! 

Love,
Mother

No comments:

Post a Comment