Saturday, February 18, 2017

#141 "Sunday February 19, 2017" (By Grandma)

I don't have very many more Sundays to contribute to the blog.  I don't think I'll write weekly updates of my life when we return to Orem.  Well, if public demand requires it, I might continue writing.  We'll have to see.

I'm getting older.  Duh!!!!  We are all getting older, but I'm getting really old.  And though I try to keep up with the 18-19 year-olds that surround us, I find that I quickly lose stamina, and patience.  This week I tried running on all cylinders.  We had lots of activities, and in addition, we had activities with some very sharp looking people.  So, in addition to enduring a week, I also had to try to look presentable for long periods of time.  

I've never been blessed with easy to care for hair.  And the humidity, rain, wind, and heat really whips it around.  I envy women with lovely coiffed hair-dos.  Prior to marriage I had my hair done once a week and it was securely "ratted" so it lasted until my next hair appointment.  I always looked stunning.  But with marriage and no hair budget money, I gradually had to try to tackle it myself.  I remember setting my hair in pink rollers.  It kept the curl for a few days.  I had perms that frizzed my hair up nicely.  And during one period of my life, I let it grow long and straight.  But now it is short and thin.  I blow dry it and use a curling iron, and ten minutes later, it looks like I just came out of a wind tunnel.  Aren't you all fascinated by this?

The week was actually a very nice one.  We met a lot of new people.... Mission presidents visiting from 20 missions.  We were able to dine with the group twice and take them to Ephesus.  Then we were able to travel to Istanbul and spend time with a Seventy, hear him give a fireside and conduct a Zone Conference.  It was a good time, but very tiring.

In the meantime, while we were on the bus full of delightful people, returning from Ephesus, we received a phone call from SLC with very disturbing news.  Not to worry, it didn't involve any of you, nor anything that any of you are connected with.  But it made me mad.  And while I was mad, I was called by a member of the Branch Presidency and asked to speak in church on Sunday.  I said yes because I know how hard it is to get speakers, but I was mad and couldn't get a pleasant thought in my head for more than 12 hours.  So while we were involved in lots of stuff, I was trying to be un-mad so I could have a clear head and think of a topic to speak on.

And alas, most of my mad left and I could come up with a topic for my talk..."natural man".  I think a "natural man/woman" revels in being mad.  Some of my mad left because I got some sleep and food and the situation partially resolved itself.  But I had sympathy for people who live with mads for long periods of time.  It is paralyzing. And the Spirit disappears.

Condolences to Jill whose grandpa Wells died this week in Montana.  We know he left a wonder legacy.  We have heard many great things about him.

While I've been typing this, two elders have been in our living room skyping and speaking in Farsi to members and investigators. They have begun a Group in Turkey in a location central to more of them.  It is the first Farsi Group in Turkey and has some very strong members.  The elders learn Turkish in the MTC and teach themselves Farsi when they come to Turkey.  Usually one or two elders help with the Farsi speakers.  It is amazing  that they can master two very difficult languages.  Farsi is Persian, and it is in the Arabic script, but it is different from Arabic.

We had a baptism today.  She loves Kent and calls him the "professor".  He gave one of the talks at her baptism.  And he also confirmed her.  She is probably 30+ and a very fun personality.  She was baptized in the hotel pool.   Unfortunately she speaks little English, but she is learning. We have missed a lot of opportunities because we speak very little Turkish.  Old people can't learn new languages, especially not Turkish.

Three granddaughters were in plays this week and one grandson-in-law.  Nashelle and Daniel, Dana, and Larissa.  We look forward to future productions.

Love,


Mother

No comments:

Post a Comment