Sunday, December 4, 2016

#121 Socks (by Grandma)


I am embarrassed.  I complained to the MP's wife that my winter socks now had holes in them and that Sr couples out to be informed that they need to bring more warm socks if they have to go through two winters.  Of course my note to her was tongue-in-cheek.  I thought I was being funny.

 

To my dismay she bought me 8 pair of socks and had them delivered to me by an elder.  Now my feet will look much better.  I still have the Cabella socks that Jacquart's sent, but they are bulky for my church-shoes.  I keep throwing away the holey ones.  That is very sad too, because one becomes attached to well-used socks.  If I were home I might look at DI and see if I could find a match.  But here, I just have to throw them away.  

 

Since we live in a relatively small space we haven't lost any socks.  Our washer doesn't eat them like our washer at home does.  And we don't have a dryer.  Dad's socks seem to have remained relatively un-holey.  But maybe that is because they are gold toe.  He has always insisted on gold toe, as you all know.

 

Yesterday we had a Branch activity.  We went bowling.  There were 38 of us there and 28 were non-members.  How is that!  Our YVs can really drum up the bowling interest.  Actually all of those attending have been investigators.  I didn't bowl, but I wish I did.  I've had a weak knee for awhile, and I was afraid that I might injure it.  So I just watched.  As you all know, I used to own my own bowling ball and shoes.  So you might think I was a pretty avid bowler at one time.  It is probably good that I didn't bowl, because I would have beat everyone, and they would have been discouraged and not had anymore discussions.  A small price to pay being a senior SV.  

 

We went to a pizza shop afterwards and all ate pizza. It seemed to work out well.  The elders were really thrilled with the turn-out.  The Mission President has encouraged us to have regular socials and we don't have very many social options.  We don't have a building to meet in.  As you know we have Sunday services in a hotel, but that is pricey for socials.  And if you use their hotel you have to use their food, which is even pricier.  WE need our own building in Izmir.  Maybe some day....

 

We had our first RS meeting today.  There were four women present, two children, and two elders to help with the translation.  One of the women was an investigator.  The new RS president just had a baby.  One of the women was visiting from a distant city.  So basically it the the RS president and me who are full-timers.  The first Priesthood meeting for the men was better attended.  The YVs are only allowed to contact men, so usually they are the only investigators.  Dad said he thought it was great to finally have a priesthood meeting.  We hope that this can all continue and grow.  Since dad is now the only member of the BP he can use some help.  He looks a little lonely sitting in front in Sacrament meeting all by himself.  

 

Let us know what you re doing for the Christmas Initiative.  I imagine that you are having lots of opportunities to serve.  We are basically serving full-time here, so I'm not sure what we would do differently.  But I've seen some good ideas out there.  

 

As I write this, I realize it is Taylor's birthday today.  I can remember how concerned we all were when he was still an infant and had jaundice.  They put him in a box with some lights and he turned out okay.  Our oldest grandson!  We hope he has a nice day.

 

I hope you all have a great week.

 

I love you.

 

Mother

No comments:

Post a Comment