Tuesday, September 29, 2015

#22 "Don't Skip to the bottom" (By Grandma)

I have a rare moment at dad’s laptop, so I want to talk to you.  I really miss my computer.  Of course, I miss all of you also, but having the luxury of using a normal-sized keyboard would be great.  Also, I miss having unlimited internet.  We have to turn it on and off when we want to use it, so it won’t cost us so much.  We cannot have unlimited internet in the apartment until we get our Temporary Resident  Permits  which are about six weeks away.  We’ve gone through all the processes and filled out all the paper work and paid all the money.   We had to be interviewed, submit receipts, forms, photos, passports, etc. 
I have a Christmas request…. Are you still reading???  Don’t skip to the bottom yet….  We cannot receive Christmas packages from you.  I know you’d love to send us some home-made cookies or rice krispy squares, but they’d never make it through customs, let alone to our door-step.  That, by the way, is where mail is left outside our apartment. 
About Christmas.  We don’t anticipate anything concerning it this year, except what we have in our own hearts.  The country just celebrated the biggest Muslin holiday of the year.  It was a 4-day holiday and is celebrated by sacrificing sheep and giving parts of it to the poor.  The big stores are closed for 4 days.  But the public transportation runs, and is ½ price.  So, a usual bus/metro ticket is about $.75 and is good for 90 minutes of travelling.  So you can switch on and off.  But for the holiday tickets were ½ price.  So for $.36 we could go anywhere.  We caught a ferry, caught another ferry, transferred to a bus for $.36  We crossed the Aegean to another town across the way.  When we returned home we paid another $.36 each.  That is a lot cheaper than owning a car, paying insurance, buying gas, etc.  And you rarely wait more than a very few minutes for a pick-up.  And if you are elderly, people stand for you.  I'm not saying I am elderly but......
We enjoyed visiting with the BYU Jerusalem group in Gumuldur.  It is a town that is about an hour away from Ephesus.  Since it was during the holiday season, they couldn’t book anything closer.  So, Dad and I took public transportation to meet them and stayed one night in their hotel.  The transportation cost us about $2.00.  We knew all of the faculty who were with the students.  We had a great dinner with them. One of the students said she was from Lehi and knew Tanner.  They come to Turkey because they can no longer travel to Egypt.  
Last night Dad asked me what he should talk about if the speaker didn’t show up in church.  The speaker didn't show up.  I said “The First Vision”.  Just after the opening prayer an investigator came in…. a man about 35, I’d guess.  So we had the sacrament (which we always bring) and dad gave a talk/lesson on the First Vision.  It was perfect.  We also had it translated as dad spoke.  
There are times when I wonder what we are doing here.  But I firmly believe that being here is important.  It is great for me to have a companion who can give a lesson/talk on almost any subject.  I do the music…. If you want to call it that.  I photocopy hymns in Turkish and English.  And I find them on my I-phone and play them when we sing.  We all sound awful.  I’m about the only female voice that can be heard, and that is just barely.  In the past,  a Sr Couple from Istanbul came and had church once a month.  But now that we are holding it weekly, it should allow for some permanency.  We don’t meet for much more than an hour though.  And we stay and visit for at least ½ hour after that.   I’ve also been providing refreshments.  Today I brought Turkish delight, something like corn curls, and sliced apples.  The hotel provides water.  Since I’m the only provider of food, it has to be basic, and I don’t have an oven to bake anything in anyway.
So far, the weather has stayed warm, but not too hot anymore.  I bought a bunch of warm clothes, but I still have a little sweat on my brow.  We’ve opened the windows more often, and been rewarded by some fresh mosquito bites. 
Tomorrow is the beginning of school in Turkey.  It has been a long summer.  I don’t know how long they go in the spring, perhaps through June.  Dad has registered for a formal Turkish class that is 4 hours a day.  I think it will be good for him.  I was also invited, but I know it would be a waste of time.  I know my liabilities and can’t memorize anymore.
BTW…. I’m looking for a hair place.  There are salons all over, but I don’t know whom to trust my head to.  I see some very unusual hair colors.  Most Turks have long beautiful hair.  Short hair is not common.  But I can see lots of grey now, and I need to find a way to renew it.  I brought some spray stuff for roots, but there is too much to cover.  Waxing is also very popular here but I think I'll forego the pleasure. 
As you know Dad’s birthday is coming up.  I may try to buy a shirt for him.  A long-sleeved T-shirt for warmth in case we ever need anything for warmth .
Well, I love you ALL and hope you are doing well in your busy lives…  Thank you for your emails!
Love,

Mother

No comments:

Post a Comment