Friday, October 2, 2009

October 1, 2009


The Birthday Boy
This day honors SKB. He turned 69. That is getting rather elderly, but he still is able to ride his bike around the hills of Jerusalem. He has only fallen once and that was because a bus forced him into a curb. Who would have guessed that he would have spent 7 birthdays in the Middle East: 1 in Egypt and 6 in Jerusalem? He hopes to spend the next birthday closer to BYU football.


Resting up for his birthday

The day before his birthday we went to Jericho with students. I couldn’t help but hear the Veggie Tales songs about Joshua in my mind. It was a very warm day, probably in the 90’s. We hiked to the Quruntul Monastery.

The monastery
We also visited Jericho Tel, saw the Zacchaeus tree, the overlook to Herod’s Winter Palace and a cat.
The cat

I went shopping for his birthday. What to buy…..? He already has enough ties to last for his lifetime, and his son’s and sons-in-law. We’d already shopped for a new bike inner tube and couldn’t find one. He doesn’t really need anything, or if he does, he buys it himself. So I bought something that I liked.

I drove to a Palestinian town and purchased three large tins of Macintosh Candy. We always had this candy at Christmas when I was a child. You can no longer purchase it in Utah.
Unwrapping the nicely wrapped gift.
I bought enough candy so we could share it with the students when they sang Happy Birthday to him at dinner. Sign for the students
I couldn’t find a birthday card, so I made a nice one with my photo on it. I knew he’d want a picture of me on a camel for his birthday..
Nicely wrapped gift

At dinner the students surprised us with a very large ice cream birthday cake made by the kitchen staff. They sang to him and presented to him a giant card with their comments.
Birthday card from the students
I haven’t read the comments, but I’m sure they will give him a lift. When you are 69 you need a lift now and then.
Birthday cake
We didn't share this piece. I had 2 pieces, and SKB had 1 large piece.

JC Administration

SKB was surprised by gifts from several others including some candy from the Allens, some cookies from the Emmetts, a piece of knafe, and a surprise under his pillow from me. (A bag of Peanut M&M’s that I brought from the states).

Display of gifts

He called all of his children and gave them the chance to wish him a Happy Birthday. All in all it was a Happy day in Jerusalem! Next year in OREM.


2 comments:

  1. This is the nicest blog I've ever seen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! Nothing like a birthday filled with cake and tons of candy.

    ReplyDelete