Saturday, July 4, 2009

4th of July in Jerusalem


We have just had a very nice 4th of July in Jerusalem. We began with Sabbath Services in the Upper Auditorium overlooking the Old City. It was a beautiful clear day.


Our Gospel Doctrine class mentioned The Screwtape Letters. I've always loved that book. I think it bears reading and rereading.


We took Meredith on a little trip to see the Vienna Hotel and Ramat Rachel where her mother lived with us 31 years ago. The Vienna Hotel looks pretty run-down and is now a learning center. Ramat Rachel is beautiful and has been developed into a Holiday Village.


The students decorated the Oasis for the 4th of July. There were streamers and banners. The cooks prepared a barbecue. It was all pretty tasty. I don't know why hamburger doesn't taste the same here. It tastes more like meatloaf. But I appreciated their efforts.


Kent gave his usual class on Luke to interested people. He is writing a commentary on Luke and uses the class to clarify some of his ideas.


It has been a quiet 4th of July so far. I know most students miss fireworks, but I enjoy the quiet pace of the Sabbath.

No comments:

Post a Comment